Celebrating International Museum Day
Today marks the 40th anniversary of International Museum Day, but at TLC, we celebrate cultural institutions every day! Museums provide understanding and appreciation of cultural differences, cultivate curiosity, and contribute to a more connected world now and for future generations. With museums and cultural institutions around the world closed due to COVID-19, an official day to celebrate and reflect on the importance of museums in society could not be more imperative.
As part of our #TLCFieldTrip campaign, TLC virtually traveled to 18 cultural organizations all across the country. We channeled our inner artist with interactive activities at the Seattle Art Museum and the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston; saw our favorite animals up close and personal via live webcams at the Phoenix Zoo and Woodland Park Zoo; conducted experiments at the Natural History Museum of Utah and the Portland Art Museum; toured exhibits at SFMOMA and the Art Institute of Chicago; celebrated national holidays like #WorldPenguinDay at Georgia Aquarium and #NationalLibraryWeek at the New York Public Library; plus so much more.
Institutions that are shut down and therefore facing huge revenue shortfalls are still putting their supporters and communities first, continuing to further their missions and bring people together – even if at a distance. We could not be more grateful to have spent this virtual time together and thank them all for being a bright spot in our day.
In gratitude, we encourage you to join in on this day of celebration however you can, whether it’s through a financial gift, virtually visiting a museum, or sharing the love on social media. Supporting your favorite cultural institution through a membership or philanthropic donation would be a huge step in helping them come back stronger than ever.
For industry resources on weathering this storm and re-opening, see below:
- American Alliance of Museums’ Considerations for Reopening
- How To Get Ready to Open the Doors from AAM’s Center for the Future of Museums Blog
- Heritage Emergency National Task Force’s COVID-19 Resource Hub
- American Alliance of Museums’ Information for the Museum Field on the COVID-19/Coronavirus
- Resources from the National Endowment for the Arts
- Small Business Administration’s Paycheck Protection Program
- National Council of Nonprofits’ Information on the CARES Act
- American Alliance of Museums’ Financial Relief and Resources
- American Alliance of Museums’ Overview of Federal Relief for Museums and Nonprofit Organizations