6 Steps to Increase SEO Rankings this Fall
All organizations strive for that golden ticket to high volume, high quality web traffic: appearing in the top 3 search engine results. There are tricks and tips everywhere that claim to guarantee a site will appear at the top of Google search results.
But tricks aren’t long term solutions.
And tips only get you so far.
So what’s the answer? Is there a way to crack Google’s code and rise to the top of Page 1?
Search engine optimization (SEO) has changed a lot since the Internet’s beginning. Back in the early days, site tags – also called meta tags — hidden within the page header were used to inform search engine bots of the page’s content. However, that strategy was abandoned because it was too easy for people to lie about their site’s content and trick search engines into directing traffic their way.
For example, you could search for a used car and see a result for a fine dining restaurant simply because someone in charge of the restaurant’s website placed a meta tag on their page that listed the keyword “used car” in the fine dining restaurant’s page description. Weird but true.
This is why meta tags no longer matter for SEO. Can you still use them? Sure. But they don’t impact results that much anymore. These days, there are more important factors to consider.
Content, Keywords, and Timing – The New Rules of SEO
Instead of wondering, “How am I going to trick Google, Bing or Yahoo?” website owners need to take a deeper look at the content they’re putting out there on the World Wide Web. They need to ask themselves, “Is this the best possible content I can share about my organization?”
“Is this the best possible content I can share about my organization?”
The following 6 steps will help your organization improve SEO and climb its way to the top of the Google search results. Let’s get started.
6 Steps to Increase SEO Ranking
- Demonstrate expertise through website content – Your website is often the first place where prospective clients look for information about your organization. Make it easier for prospects to recognize your expertise by showcasing your knowledge and talent via how-to articles, reviews, service descriptions and other pieces of valuable content.
- Only cover one topic per page – Focus your content to one topic per page, to stay on message. The more pages you have on a specific topic, the more search engines will view your site as an authority on that topic, which will in turn place your site higher on search results page.
- Write more – Longer content (between 1,500 – 2,000 words) increases your SEO score for a few reasons. 1) The are far more opportunities to sprinkle key words into a longer piece than in a short 300-500 word post; 2) the longer a reader stays on your page, the better your page will score in SEO; and, 3) longer content tends to be shared at a higher rate than short content.
- Write often – Search engines love new content so work toward publishing new content weekly.
- Promote your website to your target audience – This sounds like a no-brainer but keeping the bounce rate low on your website is critical to improve SEO. What does “bounce rate” mean? If people who click through to your website don’t like the content, they’ll leave… err, “bounce.”
- Cultivate relationships with websites that will link back to your content – Further validate your website content and increase SEO ranking by making it easy for others to share your content. Brush up on your PR skills and comment on other articles and websites, distribute press kits, and guest write articles. And of course, add social share buttons and ask visitors to share your content on social media.
By starting a little at a time and working your way through all 6 steps for improving SEO, your organization will begin to see increased quality web traffic in no time.
Kristopher Morris is a Senior Digital Strategist at The Lukens Company.