Facebook Custom Audiences
TLC’s Digital Services department recently held a “Brown Bag” lunch session for account teams about Facebook’s latest advertising tool – Custom Audiences. Facebook launched “Custom Audience” advertising in September and TLC just wrapped up its first digital advertising campaign utilizing the new targeting technology. The results were impressive and we look forward to implementing this into future campaigns, including a number of others that are launching this month! Here’s the scoop:
What is Facebook Custom Audiences?
- Custom audiences allows advertisers to target their offline constituents on Facebook. Basically a list of email addresses or phone numbers from the organization’s database is matched against contact information available on Facebook, and then Facebook serves ads to those individuals.
- We can also overlay additional targeting such as geographical location, gender and age to further target your message.
Example: Seattle Art Museum (SAM) pulled a list of their housefile contacts, lapsed members and ticket buyers for TLC to target ads for tickets to the exhibition Elles: Women Artists from the Centre Pompidou, Paris. We further targeted Facebook users in the Seattle area over the age of 35.
How does it work?
- All that’s needed is a file of email addresses or phone numbers. Through the brilliance of modern technology, Facebook never receives the actual list of contact information – the data is hashed and uploaded to our Facebook advertising “power editor” where it is matched against Facebook users.
- Once a Facebook user in the organization’s custom audience clicks an ad, users are directed to a Facebook short form – very similar to our digital advertising forms, which are built to capture the most important information up front to ensure a smoother transaction and better results.
- For maximum impact, we recommend timing Facebook ads in conjunction with the organization’s larger multi-channel strategy.
Example: SAM’s Facebook advertising campaign was focused on selling tickets to the Elles exhibit, so we timed the campaign around a ticket based email conversion series to a group that included the same constituents in our custom audience.
What can organizations expect?
- We’ve found that custom audiences has about a 60-70% match rate, meaning that of the list pulled from an organization’s database, Facebook matches profiles for 60-70% of those contacts.
- While traditional Facebook advertising campaigns are usually favored for their impressions reach as opposed to ad interaction, especially when compared to Google search & display campaigns, we’re finding that the Facebook custom audiences improves performance significantly.
Example: SAM’s Facebook custom audience campaign had a purchase rate of 7 percentage points higher than the next best performing track!
The bottom line is that Facebook custom audiences appears to be a bit of a game-changer in Facebook advertising. Rest assured that TLC’s digital services team will incorporate the strategies we’re learning into your next multi-channel campaign, but feel free to reach out to your account team if you’re interested in learning more.
- Spotlight: Gayden Akhbari
- New Social Media Advertising Tools: Twitter Advertising & Facebook News Feed Retargeting
- AAM Presentation: Membership Trends & Strategies to Optimize Acquisition, Renewal & Pricing
- Outside the Walled-Garden: How Facebook Apps Make Use of Personal Information
- TLC Presentations from AMMC
- Where Did That Gift Come From?
- Spring Conferences
- Spotlight: Ashley O'Brien
- Facebook Custom Audiences
- New USPS Savings Opportunity